Skills, Strategies, Sportsmanship & ChampionshipsAthletics
At McLean, we work to create the best athletic experience possible for our students. The Athletics Program creates an environment that provides lasting opportunities to connect, compete, persevere, lead, laugh, belong–and especially, grow–both in a specific sport, and most importantly, as a team member and person. Our teams are competitive while also being inclusive, and it’s a formula that has served us well through many winning championship seasons
The Athletic Program begins in Middle School with interscholastic sports, that build the foundation of teamwork, skill building, conditioning, and sportsmanship. In our Upper School, we offer both Varsity and Junior Varsity teams. McLean competes against independent schools in the greater Washington, DC area as a member of the Potomac Valley Athletic Conference (Edmund Burke School, Field School, Sandy Spring Friends School, Washington International School, and others). Read on for more information about our Varsity Teams.
Our PVAC Accomplishments
- 2020 Boys Varsity Basketball Regular Season and Tournament Champions
- 2020, 2018 & 2017 3 Time Female Basketball Player of the Year – Sydney L. ’20 (1000 Career Points)
- 2020 & 2019 2 Time Male Basketball Player of the Year – Andres F. ’20 (2000 Career Points)
- 2020 First McLean School player to have 1,000 Career Points & 1,000 Career Assists – Gianni L. ’20
- 2020 – 2017 4 Time MAWL Gold Medalist Wrestler – Daniel A. ’20 (view more)
- 2019 Girls Grades 7 & 8 Volleyball Champions
- 2019 Girls Grades 5 – 8 Softball Champions
- 2018 & 2017 Girls Varsity Basketball Regular Season and Tournament Champions
- 2016 Girls Grades 5 – 8 Softball Champions
- 2016 Girls Grades 7 & 8 Volleyball Champions
- 2016 – 2014 Girls Grades 7 & 8 Basketball Champions
- 2014 Girls Grades 7 & 8 Basketball Unbeaten Record
- 2013 Boys Varsity Basketball Regular Season and Tournament Champions
- 2010 Boys Varsity Soccer Regular Season Conference Champions
Athletic Coaching & Mentoring Program
McLean’s Athletic Program is more than coaches and athletes on a court or x’s and o’s in a playbook–it’s the relationships our coaches build with student-athletes to support their growth on and off the playing field. Expert coaching and mentoring plays a crucial role in the success of our teams as they navigate competition, teamwork, strategy, and sportsmanship.
The Athletic, Coaching, and Mentoring Program is a core part of McLean’s holistic approach to student development, that is both competitive and inclusive, and that enables student growth in athletic ability, character, and integrity. We see athletics, and the benefits of physical fitness and stress reduction that result from regular exercise, as keys to well-being, while also exposing students to competition, team work, strategy, resilience, and sportsmanship. Our student-athletes translate many of these skills to success in the classroom as well.
Key highlights of McLean’s Athletic, Coaching, and Mentoring Program:
- Promoting inspired coaching and mentoring in athletics with a view to holistic-academic, social-emotional, and physical development of student athletes.
- Employing Coaches with talent, commitment, and understanding of the larger role they play in the lives and education of our student-athletes
- Offering Professional development to coaches in pedagogical practices developed and deployed in McLean classrooms to enhance their effectiveness in mentoring and coaching our students.
- Encouraging and promoting our student-athletes’ voice and self advocacy in the Athletic Program
McLean School’s Athletic Coaching and Mentoring Program is endowed with a generous gift from parents of Max Gregory ’22, David Gregory and Beth Wilkinson.
Our Athletic Teams
|Coed Varsity Cross Country||Boys Varsity Basketball||Boys Grades 5-8 Baseball|
|Coed Grades 5-8 Cross Country||Girls Varsity Basketball||Coed Varsity Golf|
|Boys Varsity Soccer||Boys Junior Varsity Basketball||Boys Grades 5-8 Lacrosse|
|Girls Varsity Soccer||Boys Grades 7 & 8 Basketball Blue||Girls Varsity Softball|
|Boys Junior Varsity Soccer||Boys Grades 7 & 8 Basketball White||Girls Grades 5-8 Softball|
|Boys Grades 7 & 8 Soccer||Girls Grades 7 & 8 Basketball||Coed Varsity Track and Field|
|Girls Grades 5-8 Soccer||Boys Grades 5 & 6 Basketball Blue||Coed Grades 7 & 8 Track and Field|
|Boys Grades 5 & 6 Soccer||Boys Grades 5 & 6 Basketball White||Coed Grades 5 & 6 Track and Field|
|Coed Varsity Tennis||Girls Grades 5 & 6 Basketball Blue||Boys Varsity Baseball|
|Girls Varsity Volleyball||Girls Grades 5 & 6 Basketball White||Boys Varsity Tennis|
|Girls Junior Varsity Volleyball||Coed Varsity Indoor Track|
|Girls Grades 7 & 8 Volleyball||Boys Varsity Wrestling|
|Girls Grades 5 & 6 Volleyball||Coed Grades 5-8 Wrestling|