Brightest FutureBest Fit
The strength of our program is reflected in our college admissions, which echo the range of interests and abilities of our graduates.
We are proud of our graduates’ acceptances to highly selective colleges and universities, including Boston College Honors Program, Brandeis, Berklee College of Music, Howard, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Smith College, Syracuse University’s School of Communications, Tulane, and Yale among others.
We’re equally proud that nearly 100% of our seniors are admitted to their first choice school. These college acceptances and our equally impressive matriculation lists speaks to the merit of our students, teachers, academic program and College Counseling Office. Over the last 3 years, our seniors have received nearly $20 million in merit aid.
The College Counseling Office supports students through all four years of Upper School to help identify post-secondary options that would be the best fit for their academic interests, social-emotional connections, and career aspirations. Beginning in grade 9, the College Counseling team meets with all students for a College Guidance Course, as part of the yearly CORE programming. This course gives freshman an introduction to the journey that lies ahead which becomes most focused during their junior and senior year.
Our two College Counselors provide the following:
- Individual guidance and support for students in researching colleges, planning visits, writing essays, and practicing interview skills.
- Fostering a student’s understanding of how they learn, and how to advocate for themselves.
- Support in navigating and managing the college admission and financial scholarship process.
- Liasoning with college admission representatives. Over 80 representatives from colleges and universities, both national and international, visit McLean every year.
- Providing Parent Education Workshops throughout the four year process.