Welcome and thank you for your interest in McLean School’s vibrant college preparatory Upper School, serving students in grades 9-12. McLean resides just outside of the nation’s capital, Washington, DC, and offers a rigorous yet supportive academic program of AP, honors, and college-prep courses. Our students transition successfully to many excellent colleges and universities across the United States.
McLean is a community of learners where the focus is on the whole person – not just on test scores or transcripts. Upper School teachers provide a safe, caring, and nurturing environment where students thrive academically, emotionally, and socially. We allow our students to take healthy risks by stretching themselves academically and by taking on leadership positions. By the time they graduate, our students have honed their self-advocacy skills, they know their learning strengths and challenges, and they have developed many strategies to be successful. Our graduates are confident learners who understand how they learn best.
Upper School students are also involved in numerous club offerings, Athletics, Visual and Performing Arts, as well as Service Learning projects. These opportunities allow our students to grow socially and emotionally as they prepare for college.
International Student Application Process
All non-US Citizens requiring an I-20/F-1 Student Visa are required to complete an International Student Application.
To be considered for admission, you are required to complete all pieces of the application process.
- APPLICATION. Please complete the Student Online Application, which includes a $100 application fee. Both a parent statement and student statement are required pieces of the online application.
- RECOMMENDATION FORMS. Once you have completed an online application, you will request teacher recommendations electronically. Please follow the online application instructions for the submission of three teacher recommendations (Math, English, Head of School/Counselor).
- TRANSCRIPT. In addition to the submission of an official transcript, please also complete a Transcript Release Form. An official transcript should be sent directly from the applicant’s school to McLean. Please ensure the transcript includes at least two academic years of study. The Transcript Release Form authorizes the release of all pertinent school and health records.
- STANDARDIZED TESTING. We require both the TOEFL and SSSAT. McLean School of Maryland must be listed as a score recipient, and we encourage you to view the below links for more information on testing registration, dates, locations, and scoring.
- INTERVIEW. If possible, we encourage you to visit our campus for a tour and student interview. Please contact our office if your travel plans will allow an on-campus interview. If you are unable to visit, our Admission office will contact you to schedule a Skype interview. The Skype interview will be conducted by the Director of Admission and Head of Upper School with the applicant.
- HOMESTAY PROGRAM. Please contact the Admission Office for information regarding housing.
McLean School Code 5046
McLean School Code 4965
International applications are accepted on a rolling admission basis.
To secure enrollment once accepted, and for McLean School to process an I-20, the following documents are required:
- a signed enrollment contract
- deposit of $1,200
- proof of funds needed to fulfill the contractual fee obligations. A signed letter from the parents indicating the source of funds will suffice.
- signed authorization to release information to the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service